Saturday 9 November 2019

Home-school Geography and Map drawing.



Hi guys, today I wanted to share with you how we incorporate map drawing/study into our home-school day.  Every year we make a goal as a family to learn to draw and label one continent. This year we have been working on Europe to go with our WWII study. The boys will spend 15-20 minutes drawing and reviewing on the white board. By the end of the year they will have mastered that continent and will make a final copy colored and labelled to store into their notebooks.


Here is my 10 year old with his completed map of Europe. He was so proud of himself and I was too. I find that small bite size chunks daily has really helped him achieve this goal.



We love this Draw (Europe, USA, Canada, etc.) books. They have funny little information and descriptions for drawing out each country. I see the boys sometimes giggling while they're drawing, which is always a plus.







So far we've covered Canada, United States and Europe, Central America, and South America. My plan is for us to practice Africa next. I'm not going in any particular order. We will go along with our history theme.

Along with map drawing we do lots of reading using living books. We also play professor noggin geography trivia games and do a lot of puzzles. Once a week they will do a map drill with me, where  I hand them a blank map and they must label as many countries as they can. That's about all the geography we do in our home-school and it's been working so far.

How do you guys incorporate geography into your home-school?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
01