Monday 14 March 2016

Anansi the Spider Craft


We are on to ancient Africa in our history curriculum. We were introduced to a wonderful African folk tale "Anansi the Spider."

I checked out a few versions of this popular African folktale, and the boys enjoyed all the versions. I think I read 4 different ones in one sitting.


One of the activities suggested was to make Anansi the spider using some Styrofoam balls. I didn't have any on hand so, I put together a printable craft. It is available for free, for you to download at the end of this post.

I printed ours on black construction paper. You can do the same or just have your child color with a black marker/crayon.



We used oil pastels to add some patterns and color to our spider. 


The boys weaved a spiders web using a paper plate and some yarn.




We attached "Anansi" to her web and our craft was complete. 

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Anansi-the-Spider-Printable-Craft-2446179
Click on image to download your free copy.


2 comments:

  1. If your kids enjoyed the books about Anansi, I have another recommendation for you. The Storynory podcast did a few different Anansi stories about 8 months to a year ago. If you aren't very familiar with podcasts, I did a blog entry about them, which also has a link to Storynory:
    http://buttercupsbabies.com/2016/01/21/audio-education-part-1-kids-podcasts/
    Hope they enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I checked out your blog post so many helpful resources. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
01