- Nova Scotia means New Scotland in Latin
- Halifax is the capital city.
- The provincial bird is the Osprey
- The provincial flower is the Mayflower.
- Nova Scotia is known as the lobster capital of Canada
- Nova Scotia is connected to New Brunswick by an Isthmus.
- We learned all about the Acadian people and how they were deported from their land.
Here's a loose schedule I followed during our studies.
The boys colored this province coloring page while I read some facts to them.
Some of the books we enjoyed during our studies. We also read Halifax Explodes Canadian flyer Series not pictured here.
Province T-Shirt to help them remember key things about the province.
We worked on a lobster craft and read this wonderful book "Lobsters in my Pocket." You can read more abut this craft here.
We also worked on a craft after learning all about Peggy's Cove which is a famous lighthouse in Nova Scotia.
The boys also read about Alexander Graham Bell and filled out some facts about him. After inventing the telephone he move to Cape Breton, Nova Scotia with his wife and children. Dr. Bell and his wife Mabel were both buried atop Beinn Bhreagh mountain, on the estate, overlooking Bras d'Or Lake
The boys also put up the animals of Nova Scotia on our Canadian animal wall, and they also played Canada's Treasure Trek on TVOKids. This was a really fun game that helped them review some facts and learn new things.